Setting the Tone for the New Year
Like many of you, I’m not much for New Year resolutions. However, I have found that the beginning of a new calendar year does afford an opportunity to reflect on practices in my life that need to be adjusted, renewed or stopped. Such reflection can be deeply spiritual and set a tone for a new chapter in my life.
A rich tradition in our Evangelical Covenant Church that we have shared in over the years is Prayer Week. Early in January, a week is given over to making a variety of times available to practice prayer together. As we focus on prayer at the beginning of the new year, we give emphasis to the foundational ingredient necessary for tuning our hearts to God’s purpose and blessing in our lives. It also affords us the opportunity to give prayerful thought and intercession for the work of building God’s Kingdom through the ministries of the church in general and specifically, through the Evangelical Covenant Church and Edgebrook Covenant Church.
I urge you to set a proper tone for your life by this new year by participating in at least one of the prayer gatherings listed below.
- Monday, January 9, at 7:15pm: Prayer Gathering in the Anderson Room hosted by our Deacons.
- Tuesday, January 10 at 7:15pm: Prayer Gathering at the parsonage hosted by Pastor Greg and Charlotte.
- Wednesday, January 11 at 9:00am: Prayer Walk in the immediate Edgebrook community, led by Associate Pastor Jill Lind.
- Wednesday, January 11 at 9:45am: Prayer Week Emphasis during our Women’s Bible Class in the Anderson Room.
- Thursday, January 12 at 9:30am: Prayer Gathering in the Anderson Room hosted by our Missions and Evangelism Team.
- Friday, January 13 at 7:15pm: Prayer Gathering at the home Dan and Candi Tepke
To help keep you “spiritually fit”, our Associate Pastor Jill Lind will continue to lead a Community Prayer Walk each Wednesday from 9:00 to 9:45am. Just meet at the church a little before 9:00am, dress warmly, and join in this unique prayer practice.
Another opportunity to practice prayer in a new way will be participating in our Evening Prayer Service. Since the earliest days of the Christian faith, believers have gathered together at regular times to pray as a community. Beginning Wednesday, January 18 from 7:15 to 8:00pm, our pastoral intern, Matt Cisneros, will lead an Evening (Vespers) Prayer Service in the Anderson Room. You are warmly invited to join in this ancient rhythm of prayer by experiencing a type of prayer used by Christians for many centuries.
So, set the tone and go even deeper in your spiritual walk – with God, our community, and other believers – thru these simple prayer practices in 2012.