Part Time Office Manager
Position Summary: The Edgebrook Evangelical Covenant Church (EECC) Office Manager is responsible to the Senior Pastor and the Chairperson of the Trustee Board. Under general supervision and acting on own initiative, the Office Manager performs diverse administrative and secretarial duties for the church. Assignments may involve work of a confidential nature and require knowledge of the practices and procedures of the church.
Position Hours: 20 hours/week
Clerical work and pastoral support
• Gather information for and produce weekly church bulletin and inserts
• Prepare Sunday worship slides
• Sort church mail and scan invoices/bills for processing
• Aid in production of weekly Pastor’s column and church e-newsletter
• Mail/email mass correspondence on behalf of Pastor or church chair
• Assist in the care and maintenance of office equipment and maintain inventory of supplies
• Provide general office support for staff (mailing, filing, etc.)
• Assemble church annual report and church directory
• Protect Pastors’ needs for quiet while working in the study
• Facilitate internal and external publicity of upcoming church events, including press releases, updating website and social media, flyer production and bulletin inserts.
• Create sign up sheets and notify key individuals of future events that impact them (nursery workers, coffee hour hosts, greeters, audiovisual team, participants in Sunday worship)
• Act as primary communicator between church and outside groups (for weddings, building rentals, etc.)
• Work with pastors to ensure clarity and communication regarding deadlines and events
• Coordinate with Church Custodian and Trustee Board to ensure set up and clean-up of events are covered.
Church record keeping
• Maintain all church files, records, mailing lists and databases and keep all information pertaining to the business of the church organized and accessible
• Maintain control of the official church calendar
• Track attendance at worship and correspond with Pastor
• Collect and submit paperwork for background checks of all volunteers requiring such
• Update and produce church directory on a regular basis
• Serve as church receptionist
• Enable others to do their ministries effectively, including volunteers
• Collaborate with Pastors and Trustee Board to assess and improve administrative procedures
• Establish consistent office hours as approved by Senior Pastor and Trustee Board
• Prioritize and respond effectively to multiple demands
• Other duties as assigned
• Commitment to uphold the mission, vision and values of EECC
• Strong competency with Microsoft Office – especially Word and Excel
• Ability to work independently
• Aptitude for technology, office automation and learning new processes
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written skills
• Excellent problem solving abilities
• Adaptability to changing needs of the office
• Has experience working in or volunteering with church or other volunteer organizations
• Has a comfort and knowledge of social media
• Some college experience or related work experience
Pastor for Spiritual Formation
20-25 hours per week
POSITION DESCRIPTION: For purposes of this ministry description, Spiritual Formation is defined as the development and execution of age and learning style appropriate programs that nurture faith in Christ, knowledge of God’s Word and obedience to the Holy Spirit. The pastor is responsible for creating and enriching a vision for the intergenerational ministry development for all members and friends of Edgebrook Evangelical Covenant Church (EECC) and provide support to the Senior Pastor. The pastor facilitates volunteer involvement within and beyond the EECC for these ministries.
All the ministry duties of this position must align with the mission statement and vision of EECC and the goals of the senior leadership of EECC. Salary commensurate with experience.
CHURCH DESCRIPTION: We are a multigenerational Covenant church with over 75 years of ministry in the Edgebrook neighborhood of Chicago.
QUALIFICATIONS: Be or be willing to become a pastor in good standing with the Evangelical Covenant Church, with ministerial credentials (either licensed, Commissioned Staff Minister, Ordained to Specialized Ministry, or Ordained to Word and Sacrament). Minimum bachelor’s degree with a Christian formation/ministry focus; graduate theological degree with a Christian formation/ministry studies emphasis and experience preferred.
COMMITMENTS: By letter of call, pastor becomes a member of EECC. Actively participates in the work of the Christian Formation and Discipleship Board and ex-officio on the Executive Board. Actively participate in the life of EECC and Sunday worship, with flexible mid-week working hours. Reports to Senior Pastor.
DISCIPLESHIP AND SPIRITUAL FORMATION MINISTRIES:
● Cultivate mentoring ministries and opportunities for sharing of life experiences and faith journeys. Invites others to reflect and take next steps on their spiritual journeys.
● Guide and support the Christian Formation and Discipleship Board and collaborate with other staff in intergenerational ministry and leadership development.
● Assess current structure – revision casting is appropriate.
● Volunteer placement, training, resourcing and supervision for children, youth and adult Christian Formation ministries, which may include:
○ Children’s Ministries
■ Sunday morning infant and toddler nurseries (0 to 3 years old)
■ Kingdom’s Kids (Currently 4 years thru 6th grade – during worship)
■ Sunday after worship opportunities
■ Annual Vacation Bible School ministry (held for five days or evenings in the summer)
○ Adult Ministries
■ Small Group Ministries
● Collaborate with the Christian Formation and Discipleship Board and/or appropriate volunteers on the selection of curriculum for the above ministries.
● Take the lead in planning intergenerational worship (one time per month) and working with other staff to integrate intergenerational elements into each Sunday’s worship.
● Preach regularly (average of 4-6 times a year)
● Responsible for encouraging and nurturing leadership, strategies and programming that enables EECC to engage in ministries focused on spiritual growth and commitment to God, self and others in order to build the Kingdom of God.
● Will serve as primary pastoral support and back up in the Senior Pastor’s absence for vacation, sick or education leave, etc. These responsibilities include assisting in worship planning and leadership, preaching and pastoral care.
● Other responsibilities as assigned by Senior Pastor.
To apply for this position email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org