POSITION: Pastor for Spiritual Formation
20-25 hours per week
POSITION DESCRIPTION: For purposes of this ministry description, Spiritual Formation is defined as the development and execution of age and learning style appropriate programs that nurture faith in Christ, knowledge of God’s Word and obedience to the Holy Spirit. The pastor is responsible for creating and enriching a vision for the intergenerational ministry development for all members and friends of Edgebrook Evangelical Covenant Church (EECC) and provide support to the Senior Pastor. The pastor facilitates volunteer involvement within and beyond the EECC for these ministries.
All the ministry duties of this position must align with the mission statement and vision of EECC and the goals of the senior leadership of EECC. Salary commensurate with experience.
CHURCH DESCRIPTION: We are a multigenerational Covenant church with over 75 years of ministry in the Edgebrook neighborhood of Chicago.
QUALIFICATIONS: Be or be willing to become a pastor in good standing with the Evangelical Covenant Church, with ministerial credentials (either licensed, Commissioned Staff Minister, Ordained to Specialized Ministry, or Ordained to Word and Sacrament). Minimum bachelor’s degree with a Christian formation/ministry focus; graduate theological degree with a Christian formation/ministry studies emphasis and experience preferred.
COMMITMENTS: By letter of call, pastor becomes a member of EECC. Actively participates in the work of the Christian Formation and Discipleship Board and ex-officio on the Executive Board. Actively participate in the life of EECC and Sunday worship, with flexible mid-week working hours. Reports to Senior Pastor.
DISCIPLESHIP AND SPIRITUAL FORMATION MINISTRIES:
● Cultivate mentoring ministries and opportunities for sharing of life experiences and faith journeys. Invites others to reflect and take next steps on their spiritual journeys.
● Guide and support the Christian Formation and Discipleship Board and collaborate with other staff in intergenerational ministry and leadership development.
● Assess current structure – revision casting is appropriate.
● Volunteer placement, training, resourcing and supervision for children, youth and adult Christian Formation ministries, which may include:
○ Children’s Ministries
■ Sunday morning infant and toddler nurseries (0 to 3 years old)
■ Kingdom’s Kids (Currently 4 years thru 6th grade – during worship)
■ Sunday after worship opportunities
■ Annual Vacation Bible School ministry (held for five days or evenings in the summer)
○ Adult Ministries
■ Small Group Ministries
● Collaborate with the Christian Formation and Discipleship Board and/or appropriate volunteers on the selection of curriculum for the above ministries.
● Take the lead in planning intergenerational worship (one time per month) and working with other staff to integrate intergenerational elements into each Sunday’s worship.
● Preach regularly (average of 4-6 times a year)
● Responsible for encouraging and nurturing leadership, strategies and programming that enables EECC to engage in ministries focused on spiritual growth and commitment to God, self and others in order to build the Kingdom of God.
● Will serve as primary pastoral support and back up in the Senior Pastor’s absence for vacation, sick or education leave, etc. These responsibilities include assisting in worship planning and leadership, preaching and pastoral care.
● Other responsibilities as assigned by Senior Pastor.
To apply for this position email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org